It was my first full day back at work after the holidays yesterday, and Steve and I headed up to Insch to finish off a job I started just before Christmas.
The clients were replacing the window frames on their stairs, and had decided to encapsulate the existing stained glass in order to retain a bit of heat in a part of the house that took a lot of wind. The 6 panels were removed to our studio, and we suggested to the client that a narrow strip of clear glazing be incorporated around the border of each panel, to increase the light on the stair and allow glimpses of the garden to the rear of the property.
The panels were then resized to accommodate the double glazing units, remade using new lead, and encapsulated by a local firm. The new frames were installed the week before Christmas, and we set the units in the frame during the unusually mild spell of weather we're having in NE Scotland right now.
Each unit is set in a 20mm rebate, with drip drainage in the base and a secondary groove routed in the base of the frame to accommodate moisture. The units are secured using a back security tape, lifted from the frame using a tiny wood spacer, and a butyl strip waterproofs the seal between the unit and the external moulding. By taking extra time to seal the mouldings to the frame, as well as the window, and by holding the units off the frame, we hope to avoid issues with degradation of the unit seals, as outlined here.