Stained Glass Image of the Day: Healing Window, Manchester Cathedral (Linda Walton, 2004)

Manchester Cathedral contains a number of contemporary stained glass windows installed since WWII, when all the original glass was destroyed during a Luftwaffe bombing raid.

All the Victorian stained glass in the cathedral was destroyed during the Manchester Blitz of 1940. Until the late 1960s, only two windows had been replaced, notably the Fire Window by Margaret Traherne (1966). The Dean and Chapter commissioned Antony Holloway to prepare a scheme for reglazing the cathedral, with particular priority to the five western windows: St George (1973), St Denys (1976), St Mary (1980), The Creation (1991) and The Apocalypse (1995). To commemorate the restoration of the cathedral following an IRA bomb in 1996, the Healing Window by Linda Walton was installed in 2004.
— http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Cathedral#Stained_glass
 Healing Window, Manchester Cathedral (Linda Walton, 2004). Photo:  Andy Read

Healing Window, Manchester Cathedral (Linda Walton, 2004). Photo: Andy Read